BI-cycle, BI-cycle, BI-cycle

Yesterday, I was riding my bike to work as I do 85 percent of the time when — as often happens when I'm left alone too long to think — a silly song parody came to me. I quite enjoy riding my bike to work, not only for the exhilarating qualities of the commute, but I realize that I'm using absolutely no gas and creating no emissions besides a small bit of carbon dioxide. (I know what some of you are thinking, don't say it!)

So, in a tribute to this activity I very much enjoy, I've penned a rewrite of John Denver's "Country Boy."

Disclaimer: I know many people live quite a distance from their jobs, which would make it unreasonable to have to use a bike to commute. This is not meant as a slight to anyone who uses a four-wheeled, gas-powered vehicle to travel to necessary destinations. Sometimes we just can't control that. Plus, Salt Lake City has bike-friendly streets, and that's an advantage for me.

First, click here to hear the song (preferably in another window or tab).

Then, come back here and read the lyrics:

"Biker Boy"

Well I pack my bag with the lunch I take
Ready the pedals and test out the brakes
Strap on my helmet so my head don't break
Thank God I'm a biker boy

I can keep moving in a traffic jam
Even when it's backed up like the Hoover Dam
Fit in more places than a big Dodge Ram
Thank God I'm a biker boy

Well I can slow down to look at art galleries
I don't burn gas; I just burn lots of calories
Just to make this rhyme I work with someone named Valerie
Thank God I'm a biker boy

I can quickly speed up or stop on a dime
Hit the green lights to get to work on time
Get a little workout with a slight hill climb
Thank God I'm a biker boy

Well I stay in the boundaries of the bicycle lane
Keep a jacket handy just in case of rain
I'm sure some people may think I'm insane
Thank God I'm a biker boy

Well it's a mile and a half to get where I'm goin'
My legs are pumpin'; the adrenaline's flowin'
I'm breathing heavy, but my face is glowin'
Thank God I'm a biker boy!

Comments

MaryKate said…
This is the best song ever. I wish Philly had biker-friendly streets.
Dean Family said…
Rob, you make us smile so much. Thanks so much. Love you guys and miss you tons. Thanks for the great song, please publish it.

Popular posts from this blog

Gardening...Joy or Pain?

New Adventures

When you're 16 going on 17