What a Beautiful Noise

That's what Neil Diamond made Friday night in SLC at EnergySolutions Arena. The tickets to the show were our Christmas present to each other, and it didn't disappoint — it was well worth it.
He came out singing "Holly Holy" and then sang the title track of this blog ... if you will. It was electric. And what I noticed about Neil is that he: 1. Really enjoys performing and 2. Appreciates and respects his audience.
The second one was apparent when he looked behind the stage and saw those who were seated there, and he said, "There are people back here! ... What did they tell you to get you to buy those seats? That they were close to the stage? ... If you'll excuse me, I'm going to sing this next song to the people back here, because they're stuck in these terrible seats."
Pure class.
He also sang "Brooklyn Roads," and while he did, some of his old home movies with his parents and little brother played on the big screen. That, followed by "I am, I said" made for a moving combination.
Shortly thereafter, he broke into "Forever in Blue Jeans" and then "Sweet Caroline," and he encouraged the audience to sing the latter Fenway Park style (so good! so good! so good!). This 1-2 punch, for me, was the best back-to-back anything since Chase Utley and Ryan Howard both went deep in Game 3 of the World Series (no, I won't stop making Phillies references anytime soon; please let me milk it). He kept the upbeat spirit going with "I'm a Believer."
I also enjoyed his more melancholy songs such as "Love on the Rocks." And I will admit I was almost in tears a few times. Incredible performance.
He came out for an encore, belting "Cracklin' Rosie," "Coming to America" (with stirring video of immigrants to Ellis Island) and closing with a rousing "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show."
Adding to the incredible performance was the fact that Neil is donating all the proceeds from his merchandise sales to victims of Hurricane Ike. Beautiful man making beautiful noise.
Here's a review of the same show from a co-worker whom I don't know that well.
I'll close by linking to a song that he didn't sing in the concert, but it's my dear wife's favorite:
Keep it going, Neil.
Comments