The Love of Trains Spans Decades

Raising two young male offspring has revealed to us one of life's great truths: Boys love trains.

Myles' love for the rails was apparent before he turned a year old. I still remember Christmas of 2011 when he received a Thomas and Friends gift set and spent the next 10 minutes or so saying "Choo Choo!"

He still loves trains, and is playing with a wooden railway set as I type this entry. And it seems baby brother Briggs shares a like for the locomotives with him. He will watch while Myles is watching train videos on YouTube, and he smiles and laughs as he looks on.

What we didn't realize is that there doesn't seem to be an age limit for the "Boys love trains" axiom. I've found that I enjoy riding light rail and commuter rail where we live when I need to get somewhere without a car. It's even more fun when we get to ride as a family or when I just get to ride with Myles. Last time we rode the FrontRunner, he pretended it was the Polar Express and I was his conductor, saying to everyone who walked by, "This is my conductor, he always listens to me." (Oh, that I could live up to that!)

But I'm just a kid at 35. The boys' love for trains was exposed at its ultimate height earlier this year when our beloved Grandpa Garden expressed a desire to ride the Wasatch Front's commuter rail line. Cindy suggested that I take him for a ride, so we arranged it.

I picked him up and we went to the Orem FrontRunner station. We boarded the train and settled in for the ride. He was instantly blown away by how fast we were going, and that was before we could see the cars on I-15 as we passed them. He shared facts about the history of the areas he saw as the train made its way through.

We made it to Salt Lake City and rode the TRAX light rail for a while before turning around and heading back south on the FrontRunner. Grandpa told me how he once took a train from Salt Lake to Reno, Nevada, and rode in a Pullman car when he took a job in that city. It gave me some wanderlust for a long train trip myself.

Boys from age 3 to 83 and everywhere in between show equal measure of joy and amazement at trains, and it's been fun to witness both ends of that spectrum as we ride the rails.

Photos from the Journey with Grandpa:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gardening...Joy or Pain?

New Adventures

When you're 16 going on 17