Hospital Visits

Ah, the hospital. I know, I know - get to the point...
Briggs fell today and nearly the entire left front side of his head hit the corner of the living room wall. It was a big hit, and there were immediate tears so I didn't worry too much about a concussion. However, while eating lunch (about 5 minutes later) the red line started to appear. I felt around and discovered it was hard, tender, then hard again. I was worried that possibly he broke something. We spoke with the nurse at the Dr.'s office, and she explained the red line perfectly - a crease. Yep, that was it. Briggs had a crease in his head about 2 1/2 inches long. She consulted with a Dr. and sent us to the ER at Primary Children's.
To be honest, I cried for about a minute. What had I done, not done, could do, etc. Myles went to play at our neighbors house (yay for neighbors and neighbors' trains.) and I picked up Rob and we went to the ER. Briggs was acting fine, and hadn't had any signs of a concussion, but now the worry was a skull fracture.
It was odd the feelings I had. Having a skull fracture was an inconvenience -- not a tragedy. It might be painful, but not mournful. I was surprised at how calm I was. Don't misunderstand, I wanted Briggs to be fine, to be okay and not to have any permanent damage, but strangely I was confident in the Dr.'s, mine, and Rob's abilities and that with God we would be okay. All of that realization came so quickly. There are experiences close to my heart that have distinguished the difference between inconvenience and real tragic, mournful pain. I am grateful to those who have taught me through their experiences to trust in God. I am also saddened that they had to have those experiences.
Due to the term 'head trauma' we were seen quite quickly. Turns out Briggs was fine. He was going to have a headache, and a slight red mark for a few days but seemed to be just fine. We're still watching for possible problems, but overall today he's been a trooper.
Life is a journey and trusting in the highest power of all - my Heavenly Father - brings me peace that I don't find elsewhere. It's not an all-knowing, everything will be flowers and rainbows kind of peace - but a peace of conscious, a peace that settles in my heart. I wish I had this ability to trust every day - in more of my weak moments.



Comments

Unknown said…
All I can say is bad day, scary, glad he is well and I love you!!!
Jamie said…
omg just reading that made me light headed scared. You're a good mama. That was scary!

Popular posts from this blog

Gardening...Joy or Pain?

New Adventures

When you're 16 going on 17